Date(s) - 12/03/2017
6:00 am - 8:00 pm
Podium Finish Sport Boutique & Cafe has teamed up with GeoBetty Tours to offer this unique hiking and mountain biking adventure in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Here are the details.
Who: This adventure is for fit and experienced mountain bikers/hikers. Minimum group size is 5 riders, maximum is 10.
- First we’ll ride eight miles of nasty dirt road with about 1000 feet of climb from near the highway to the Williams Ranch House in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. It’s the kind of road that you can travel faster on a bike than in a high-clearance 4WD vehicle.
- Then we’ll switch into hiking gear and hike as much as a 5 mile round trip with 1200 feet of climb, soaking up views in Shumard Canyon. It’s a beautiful and rarely seen portion of the park.
- After the hike we’ll transition back to mountain bikers and retrace our 8 mile ride to where we left the vehicles. This part trends downhill but does have 300+ feet of climb.
- Riders must carry everything they need for the entire day on their bikes or their backs, including food, water, hiking/biking gear, extra clothing, etc. This is a primitive area with no services – no water, bathrooms, cell service, etc.
- Trained and experienced guides from GeoBetty Tours will lead the group.
- Riders will be responsible for carrying all necessary gear – at least four liters of water, extra snacks, clothing for hiking and biking. Day packs (larger than “normal” Camelbaks) are necessary to carry everything needed.
- The group should carpool taking no more vehicles than necessary. We’ll have to leave the vehicles one mile up a dirt road to start.
- There’s some additional logistical work involved. We have to sign out and then return a key to park headquarters ten miles from your starting point.
- Cost: $85 per person. Lunch will be provided from the kitchens at Podium Finish.
- Bike rentals available for $40.
Contact: You must make a reservation in advance and pay by either visiting Podium Finish at 921 Texas Avenue or by contacting Don Baumgardt at GeoBetty Tours: email (don@GeoBetty.com or phone (915-526-1091). 50% refund available if canceled at least 72 hours before departure. No refunds available with less than 72 hours notice.